It is the top of this page

The header is from here

The menu is to here

The text is from here

Membership Eligibility

Persons employed at and receiving salaries from educational institutions are eligible for membership and qualified to receive various benefits offered by the program.

However personnel who are; (1) not full-time employees (2) employed on a temporary basis, or (3) not meeting the required labor hours and labor days and also does not meet the requirements for part time work membership / are not eligible for membership.
The requirements of labor hours and labor days to become a regular member is that "both the number of labor hours per week and the number of labor days per month are equal to or over 3/4 of that of a normal worker (full-time employee)."

For those who are not eligible to become a “regular member”, meeting the following conditions (1) to (5) will allow the person to become a “part time work member”.
Although “regular member” and “part time work member” have different requirements, there are no difference in the benefits.

  • [Requirements for part time work members]
    1. Normal working hours per week is 20 hours or more
    2. Has a monthly wage of 88,000 yen or more
    3. Is expected to be continuously employed for a year or more
    4. Is not a student
    5. The educational institution which the part time worker works for meets the scale requirements ((1) or (2))
    • (1) The educational institution is classified as a “specified educational institution.” which means more than 500 school personals are employed
    • (2) The educational institutions other than (1) request for applying their part time workers to PMAC based on the agreement between labor and management.
  • The membership eligibility for PMAC is mandatory; individuals cannot decide at will to join or to terminate their membership or choose to join only the Short-Term or the Pension Benefits program once his/her working hours meets the criteria.
  • There are some schools (Type B) to which only the Short-Term Benefits program applies and others (Type C) to which only the Pension Benefits program applies. PMAC defines as table below. For more information about membership for persons at age 70 or older, refer to Pension Benefits for persons Age 70 and Older.

<Reference> Membership types are categorized as follows.

Category Under age 65 Age 65 to 74 Age 75 or older Benefits provided
Under age 70 Age 70 or older Short-Term Pension
Type A schools *1 Type A-1 members
  Type A-2 members*3   *5
  Type B-2 members   -
  Type B-3 specified personnel*4 - -
  Type C-4 members*2   -
  Type C-5 members*2, 3 - *5
  Type C-6 specified personnel*2, 4 - -
Type B schools Type B members   -
Type C schools Type C members   -
  Type C-2 members*3 - *5
  Type C specified personnel *2, 4 - -
Voluntarily Continued Insurance Members   -

*1 All institutions newly joining the system will be classified as Type A.
*2 A person who is approved to be an insured person of “Medical System for Old Elderly” and exempted from the application of PMAC Short-Term Benefits.
*3 A person age 70 or older not entitled to receive the Old-age Employees’ Pension Benefits and has postponed the application of the Employees’ Pension Insurance.
*4 “Specified personnel” (Type B-3, C-3 and C-6) do not need to pay the premiums because neither the Short-Term nor Pension Benefits applies to them.
*5 Only applies to Employees’ Pension benefits.

Membership Card/Membership Card for a Dependent

  • When becoming a member, a “Membership Card” is issued. For persons between the ages of 70 to 74, an “Elderly Recipient Card” on which the self-pay ratio for medical expenses is indicated is also issued. (refer to 70years or older)
  • If a family member is approved to be a dependent, a “Membership Card for a Dependent” is issued. For those between the ages of 70 to 74 an “Elderly Recipient Card” is also issued.
  • A member or their dependent must present a Membership Card/Membership Card for a Dependent at medical institutions when receiving medical services covered by health insurance. The card is equivalent to an “insurance card” of a health insurance plan.

Membership Eligibility Certificate

  • For Type C members who only receive the application of the Pension Benefits, a “Membership Eligibility Certificate” is issued.
    A member cannot receive health insurance treatment at medical facilities with a Membership Eligibility Certificate.

Handling Membership Cards with Care

  • The information printed on the “Membership Card” or “Membership Card for a Dependent” must be confirmed upon receipt. If the name, birthdate, sex, eligibility start date or dependent approval date printed on the card is incorrect, procedures to correct the information must be taken immediately.
  • The address field on the Membership Card must be filled in by the member. When the address changes, it must be corrected to the new address by the member, while address change procedures must be taken through the schools.
  • If a member loses or damages the Membership Cards or when the member’s name changes, refer to Types of Forms to Use must be taken through the schools.

Membership Card

Photo of Membership Card

Membership Card for a Dependent

Photo of Membership Card for a Dependent

Backside of Membership Card/Membership Card for a Dependent

Photo of Backside of Membership Card

Member Number

  • The member number is necessary when requesting benefit payments or making inquiries about benefits from PMAC.
  • The member number is printed on the “Membership Card” or “Membership Eligibility Certificate.”
  • The member number is composed of the following 1-4 parts:
    1. Prefectural code: Indicates one of the 47 prefectures using a 2-digit number.
    2. School type: Indicates the school type using an alphabetic character.

      1. Prefectural code list

      Hokkaido 01 Tokyo 13 Shiga 25 Kagawa 37
      Aomori 02 Kanagawa 14 Kyoto 26 Ehime 38
      Iwate 03 Niigata 15 Osaka 27 Kochi 39
      Miyagi 04 Toyama 16 Hyogo 28 Fukuoka 40
      Akita 05 Ishikawa 17 Nara 29 Saga 41
      Yamagata 06 Fukui 18 Wakayama 30 Nagasaki 42
      Fukushima 07 Yamanashi 19 Tottori 31 Kumamoto 43
      Ibaraki 08 Nagano 20 Shimane 32 Oita 44
      Tochigi 09 Gifu 21 Okayama 33 Miyazaki 45
      Gunma 10 Shizuoka 22 Hiroshima 34 Kagoshima 46
      Saitama 11 Aichi 23 Yamaguchi 35 Okinawa 47
      Chiba 12 Mie 24 Tokushima 36    

      2. School type code list

      University A
      Junior College B
      High school and secondary education school C
      Junior high school D
      Elementary school E
      Pre-school F
      Special needs school G
      Miscellaneous school H
      PMAC I
      Technical College J
      Specialized training school K
    3. School number: 4 digits
    4. Personal number: 5 digits

    Example of member number

    Image of member number

    The member number is printed on the Membership Card above card holder's name.

Reporting the Basic Pension Number

The Basic Pension number is a 10-digit number uniquely assigned to an individual by the Japan Pension Service and is unchanged for the individual’s entire lifetime even when the Employees’ Pension Insured Persons type changes due to a change in occupation. In principle, this number is assigned to persons aged 20 and older.

Persons who already have a Basic Pension number must notify PMAC of the number when he/she become a member.

Basic Pension number is printed on the pension book, Basic Pension number notice, and “Nenkin Teikibin (Pension Service Letters)” issued by the Japan Pension Service

Reporting of “My Number” (Individual Number)

“My Number” is a 12-digit number used for purposes such as sharing information for medical insurers. The system is based on the “Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in Administrative Procedures.”
PMAC collects “My number” as the “Persons in Charge of Processes Using Individual Numbers” defined in the My Number System (The Social Security and Tax Number System.)
When acquiring a qualification or becoming a dependent, report your “My Number” through your school, etc.
When a dependent who had been living abroad at the time of acquiring the status of a dependent returns to Japan and receives “My Number” for the first time or when there is a change to “My Number,” you are required to report this using a “My Number Renewal Reporting Form.”
Be aware that the member is responsible for confirming the correct Individual Number of the dependent.

The text is to here

The sub menu is from here

The sub menu is to here

The footer is from here


The footer is to here

Go to top of page