> Length of Enrollment Period Needed to Qualify For
Length of Enrollment Period Needed to Qualify For Pensions
To become eligible for collecting payments from the Retirement Mutual Aid Pension
or the Old-age Basic Pension a member will need to have been enrolled in the plans
for a total of 25 years or more, including the periods he/she has paid premiums,
periods he/she was exempted from paying, and optional periods he/she chose not
premium-paying period + premium exemption period + non-participating optional
period = 25 years or more
As a result of the law established in August 2012 and planned to enforce in October 2015, the requisite total period of membership to receive the Retirement Mutual Aid Pension will be reduced from 25 years to 10 years.
The following are considered premium-paying periods:
- Periods when the National Pension premiums were payable.
The period from April 1961 to March 1986 and the period from April 1986 onward
1986 during which the applicant was enrolled as a First Insured or Third Insured
- Periods of enrollment in Employees’ Pension Plan, Private School Mutual
Aid System, or other mutual aid systems.
Premium exemption period
Periods when the individual was exempted from paying National Pension Plan
premiums (in the case of the Old-age Basic Pension payments, total exemption is
calculated as one third and half exemption as two thirds).
To offset the effect of the decision to gradually raise the National Pension
premiums annually starting from 2005, and to ease the burden on insured people,
the multiple-level exemption system was introduced in July 2006.. In addition
to the total and half exemption possibilities, Insured Persons will be able to
take advantage of one quarter and three-quarter exemptions to be granted in accordance
with their income level.
Non-participating optional periods(Karakikan)
The following periods will not be reflected in pension calculations, but will
be counted towards the insured’s eligibility period.
- A period between April 1961 and March 1986, during which an individual such
as the spouse of a salaried employee, a person collecting disability pensions
or his/her spouse, a person collecting survivor’s pension, etc., was eligible
for voluntary participation in the National Pension Plan but chose not to participate.
- A period prior to March 1991 during which an individual 20 years or older
and still a student had been eligible for voluntary participation but had chosen
not to participate in the National Pension Plan.
- A period from April 1961 onward during which an individual between the ages
of 20 and 60 was living abroad.
- In the case of an individual who obtains Japanese nationality or permission
for permanent residence before the age of 65, a period between April 1961 and
December 31, 1981 when he/she had been between the ages of 20 and 60 years and
had been residing in Japan.
- The period which those who belong to 4 had lived overseas, and the period when they were aged 20 to 59 between April 1961 until a day before they obtained a Japanese citizenship or the day they obtained permanent residency.
- A period from April 1961 onward during which an individual was receiving withdrawal
allowance from the Employees’ Pension Plan.
Special exception for a reduced eligibility period
Based on a special exception, the 25-year eligibility period will be reduced
to anywhere from 24 to 15 years, depending on the individual’s birthday
and other conditions.
- Correlation between the required total time of enrollment in the Employees
EPension Plan, any other Mutual Aid System, or the Private School Mutual Aid System and
the date of birth in the case of individuals born before April 1,1956.
|Date of birth
|Before April 1, 1952
|April 2, 1952 to April 1, 1953
|April 2, 1953 to April 1, 1954
|April 2, 1954 to April 1, 1955
|April 2, 1955 to April 1, 1956
- Correlation between the required total time of enrollment in the Employees’
Pension Plan after the age of 40 (35 years for women, miners and sailors) and
the date of birth in the case of individuals born before April 1, 1951.
|Date of birth
|Before April 1, 1947
|April 2, 1947 to April 1, 1948
|April 2, 1948 to April 1, 1949
|April 2, 1949 to April 1, 1950
|April 2, 1950 to April 1, 1951